Permit Counter Temporary Closures

To protect the health and safety of our staff and customers, and to help mitigate the impact of COVID-19, we closed our public-facing customer service counters on Monday, March 16, 2020. Our counters remain closed until further notice. This includes both the Street Use and the Traffic and Parking permit counters at the Seattle Municipal Tower on floors 23 and 37. We are still processing permit applications.

You can submit applications for all permit types online through the Seattle Services Portal.

Our staff will be available to provide application coaching and assist with issuing permits by phone or e-mail.

Parking and Traffic Permits

We issue permits for oversized and/or overweight vehicles to use Seattle streets in addition to issuing on-street parking permits.

Construction Use, Major Development, Street Improvement, and Utility Work in the Right-of-Way Permits

We issue a number of different types of permits for activities that impact mobility on Seattle's sidewalks and streets.

Related permits

Annual Vehicle Permits

Apply for an Annual Vehicle Permit for short term-uses of the right-of-way.

Right-of-way (ROW) Construction

Any work conducted in the public right-of-way requires a Street Use permit.

Right-of-way Maintenance

Get this permit for short term projects in the right-of-way with limited impacts to mobility such as minor sidewalk [...]

Private Structures in the Right-of-Way (Fences, Rockeries, Walls)

If you're building all fence, wall, rockery, or stairway located fully or partially in the right-of-way, you'll need a [...]

Long-Term Storage in the Right-of-Way

With this permit, you can store materials in a pre-defined location in the public right-of-way

Private Utility Infrastructure in the Right-of-Way

Private utility infrastructure located fully or partially in the right-of-way requires a permit.

Storage Container and Residential Dumpster Permits

Moving and need a storage container? Need a dumpster for a home project? Apply for a permit here!

Street Improvement Permits

Learn more about Street Improvement Permits and when they are required!

SIP Lite

SIP Lite is a streamlined permitting process for small-scale street improvement projects.

Term Permits and Street Vacations

For long-term installations or private uses of the public right-of-way, apply for a term or street vacation permit.

Utility Work in the Right of Way

Staging a vehicle for utility work, utility installation and maintenance all require a utility permit.

Heavy Crane

Get this permit if you need to stage a crane that weighs 100 tons or more in the right-of-way.

Retail and Food Service-related permits

We issue permits for food trucks, sidewalk merchandise displays, sidewalk cafés, and other uses of the right-of-way that can enhance a business.

Neighborhood and Community Permits

We encourage using Seattle's streets and sidewalks to make our communities and neighborhoods vibrant. 

Planning, Review, and Inspections Services

Our teams coordinate and inspect activities in the right-of-way and collaborate with the Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections to streamline the permitting process.

Permitting Tools and Resources

To help you with the permitting process, we've created a number of tools and other resources.