Link to Transportation Home Page Link to Transportation Home Page Link to Transportation About Us Page Link to Transportation Contact Us Page
Delivering a first-rate transportation system for Seattle Scott Kubly, Director







Site Index

Street Use Home
Getting a Permit
Pay Permit Fees or Check Status
Fees Information
Permit Services Online Help
Access Seattle: Hub Coordination
Construction Use & Simple Utility Permits
Construction Management Plan
Construction Coordination in City Streets
Public Space Permits
Major Improvements Permits
Urban Forestry Permits
Applications, Forms & Templates
TCP Base Map Tool
Codes & Rules
Client Assistance Memos
Street Vacations
Resolving Permit Disputes
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Street Use

SDOT Street Use: Construction Use & Simple Utility Permits

New Required Utility Permit Submittal Email

To better serve you in Seattles continuing construction surge, we are giving utility permit customers a separate submittal email.

Beginning July 1, 2017, Utility Permit customers must submit all Simple Utility and Major Utility Permit inquiries and materials to

These materials will be going directly into a newly integrated email inbox so that our team can have consistent access and provide you with more efficient service!

All other permit-related inquiries and materials may be submitted to

Questions? Contact Melody Berry at

Impacting Streets/Sidewalks for Construction Purposes

Many circumstances require use of the right of way for construction on both public and private property. Street use permits are issued for temporary use of the right of way during construction for activities such as material storage, scaffolding, crane placement, or crossing the curb and sidewalk with heavy equipment.


A temporary driveway is an asphalt driveway installed where there is no curb constructed. It requires a permit issued by Street Use, permits issued by the Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections (Seattle DCI), and a field review by an inspector for approval. Property owners are responsible for providing a temporary or permanent driveway so that vehicles do not drive over sidewalks, planting strips or curbs.

Sidewalk Repairs

Property owners are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks adjacent to their property. This includes ensuring that snow, ice and debris do not pose a hazard to pedestrians - it also means that property owners must repair cracks and other sidewalk damage. If your sidewalk is in need of repair, apply for a construction use permit to complete the work.

Pavement Restoration

Property owners getting a new utility service connection may need to arrange for pavement restoration unless the private utility provides that service. Pavement restoration in the right of way requires a Street Use permit and it’s the customer’s responsibility to ensure one is obtained prior to pavement restoration work. See Client Assistance Memo 2601 to learn more. If you are a contractor interested in registering as a pavement registration contractor, Client Assistance Memo 2602 describes the required steps.

Simple Utility Permits

Utility permits are issued for the installation of underground and overhead utility mains and services in the public right of way. They include power, communication, gas, steam, water, sewer, drainage, and privately owned facilities such as oil pipelines. Also included are permits issued to other governmental entities such as the Port of Seattle, King County and the State of Washington.

Utility Permit Publications

Utility and Pavement Restoration Plan Checklist

Impact of Utility Cuts on Performance of Seattle Streets (PDF format): Final Report (including Appendix A, Literature Review) | Appendix C, Utility Cut Surveys | Appendix D, Deflection Test Data, Part One | Appendix D, Deflection Test Data, Part Two | Appendix D, Deflection Test Data, Part Three

Standards for Plans for Street Use Utility Permits

Standards for Above Ground Cabinets Director Rule SDOT 2-2009

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Site Index | News | FAQs | E-Mail Alerts