Long-Term Storage in the Right-of-Way

Permit Counter Temporary Closures

To protect the health and safety of our staff and customers, and to help mitigate the impact of COVID-19, we closed our public-facing customer service counters on Monday, March 16, 2020. Our counters remain closed until further notice. This includes both the Street Use and the Traffic and Parking permit counters at the Seattle Municipal Tower on floors 23 and 37. We are still processing permit applications.

You can submit applications for all permit types online through the Seattle Services Portal.

Our staff will be available to provide application coaching and assist with issuing permits by phone or e-mail.

How do I get a permit for long-term storage in the right-of-way?

This permit allows permittees to store materials in a predefined location in the public right-of-way. The permit must be renewed annually as long as the material continues to be located in public space.

You can apply for this permit on the Seattle Services Portal. Use the button on the right to sign in!

Under "Create New" select "Permits-Street Use" and navigate to and select the "Long Term Use" and "Private Structures/Uses" record type.

Required documents

For storage where construction activity is proposed

Your Long-Term permit from Public Space Management allows your proposed structure to exist in the right-of-way When construction activity is proposed, a Construction Use (CU) permit may also be required. 

A CU permit covers the temporary Right-of-Way (ROW) impacts of activities related to the installation/construction of your encroachment(s). While this is a separate permit, we do not require a separate application and will review and issue both permits together. 

If a CU permit is required, we will likely identify and notify you of additional review documents that need to be submitted.