How to Get a Permit

    1. Check to see if you are eligible.

      For Residents:

      Use this map for guidance on where RPZs are in effect. Or you can use our lookup tool to see if your address is eligible for an RPZ permit.

      For Businesses:

      Use the map to see if your business is located in an RPZ

      If your business is located within a Southeast Link Light Rail Zone (Zone 16, 28, 29, 30, or 31) Employees are eligible for RPZ permits. Click here for applications.  

      For all other areas: SDOT considers requests for Restricted Parking Zone (RPZ) permits for employees within an RPZ based on specific criteria.

      If you think your business would meet the criteria, fill out an application.

    2. Provide documentation.

      • A completed application form (click on your zone on the map above to find the link to download the application).
      • Current proof of residency showing your name and address, dated within the last 30 days. This can be a bill, bank statement, paycheck stub, a letter from your previous address that has been forwarded to your new address and has the yellow sticker from the post office showing a date and your new address, lease or rental agreement (leases and rental agreements will only be considered if signed within the past 30 days. Unsigned or electronic leases will not be considered current proof of residency), or any properly dated business type mail (undated “junk” mail or mail addressed to “resident” is not proof of residency) other than mail from our office.
      • A copy of your current Washington State Vehicle Registration. Your vehicle must be registered with the Washington State Department of Licensing (WA DOL) in your name and at your address. Titles, temporary registrations and bills of sale are not accepted. Out-of-state registration is accepted only for active duty military personnel providing proof of their status, or out-of-state students providing proof of non-resident status. If your name does not appear on the vehicle registration, you may not qualify to receive a decal for your vehicle. Click here for information on how to add your name to the vehicle registration certificate.
      • Check or Money Order, made out to the City of Seattle. If applying in person, we also accept cash, Visa and Mastercard. The amount varies by zone, so check your application.
    3. Documentation of income, if you would like to qualify for a low-income permit. Acceptable documentation for a low-income permit is available here.

    4. Submit your application.

      • Submit by mail:

        Seattle Department of Transportation
        Traffic Permits
        PO Box 34996
        Seattle, WA 98124-4996

        Please allow 7 to 10 days for us to process your order and for return mail.
      • Submit in person:

        Traffic Permits Counter
        37th Floor
        Seattle Municipal Tower
        700 5th Ave (5th & Columbia)
      • Submit Online: Available for renewals for current permit holders only.
    5. Receive a 10-day temporary permit. We will provide this in person or via email if you request it.

    6. Receive your permanent permits by mail approximately 10 days after your application is submitted.

Contact us:

For questions about RPZ permits please call or email us. We can be reached Monday through Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 pm at (206) 684-5086, or