Recovery Card

ORCA Recovery Card

Update: Recovery cards benefits have been extended to December 31, 2022 (card benefits were originally set to expire at the end of this year). Please keep your Recovery card and continue to use it to ride transit at no cost through the end of 2022.  

Employees of eligible grocery and food service businesses in the Chinatown-International District and Pioneer Square that have not received a Recovery card can apply by filling out our online form HERE.  This form is available in English, Spanish (Español), Simplified Chinese (简体中文), Traditional Chinese (繁體中文, and Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt).

Stay tuned for additional information about future Recovery card distribution.  


In November 2020, Seattle voters approved STBD Proposition 1. The six-year proposition included an ordinance asking the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) to support transportation access for Essential Workers in Seattle. 

What is the ORCA Recovery Card?

The ORCA Recovery Card is a temporary, no-cost, fully-subsidized ORCA card provided to food service and grocery/ convenience store employees who work at a business in Pioneer Square and the Chinatown-International District, including Chinatown, Little Saigon, and Japantown. The pass is valid for use on King County Metro, King County Water Taxi, Seattle Streetcar, Seattle Center Monorail, Sound Transit, Community Transit, Pierce Transit, Kitsap Transit, and Everett Transit. The ORCA cards may not be used on Washington State Ferries. 

The Seattle Department of Transportation will provide up to 2,000 cards to eligible employees. 

How Can I Get a Card?

In order to receive a card, you need to complete a registration form. You can access an online version of the form HERE if you work at an eligible grocery or food service business in the Chinatown-International District or Pioneer Square. Please note that completing the registration form does not guarantee that you will receive a card.  The form is available in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, and English.

You can also fill out a form at an in-person distribution event.  More information on future in-person distribution events to come. 

Can I Pick Up Cards for my Employees?

If you are a manager, supervisor, or owner, you may pick up cards for your employees. If your employees are applying online, we ask that they each fill out an online form and we will mail a card for them to your business address. You may contact us at for more information on this.

If you are picking up cards during one of our distribution events, we ask that all employees complete their own registration form prior to card pickup. At the distribution event, to pick up cards for your employees, you will need to provide the following:

  1. Proof of Your Employment** 
  2. A list of names of employees who you are picking up cards for

**You only need to provide proof of your own employment if you are picking up cards for your employees.

Does Your Business Qualify for the Recovery Card?

In order for a business to qualify for the ORCA Recovery Card, it must meet four requirements: 

  1. It must be classified as a food service or grocery business.
  2. It must reside within the geographic boundary outlined HERE.
  3. The business must not have more than 5 locations in the City of Seattle.
  4. The business cannot already provide a comparable transportation benefit. 

Additional Questions? 

Please reference our FAQ, available in five languages below:


简体字 (Simplified Chinese)

繁體字 (Traditional Chinese)


Tiếng Việt