Department of Transportation Scott Kubly, Director
About Us|Contact Us







Site Index

Street Use Home
Getting a Permit
Pay Permit Fees or Check Status
Fees Information
Permit Services Online Help
Access Seattle: Hub Coordination
Construction Use & Simple Utility Permits
Public Space Permits
Permit Application Notices
Sidewalk Cafés
Parklets & Streateries
Play Streets
Special Activities
Neighborhood Block Parties
Shoreline Street Ends
Signal Control Box Artwork
Pole Banners
Major Improvements Permits
Urban Forestry Permits
Applications, Forms & Templates
TCP Base Map Tool
Codes & Rules
Client Assistance Memos
Street Vacations
Resolving Permit Disputes
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Street Use

Street Use Permits for Special Activities

To download a PDF of the Client Assistance Memo which details how to get a street use permit for your special activities, click here

Street Fairs, Farmers Markets and Sidewalk Sales

These and other activities add charm and enliven our neighborhoods, but what would happen in an emergency if a street were closed? Getting a Street Use permit for special activities makes sure departments like police and fire know about the street closure and authorizes the temporary use of public right-of-way.

If your proposed activity requires police attendance and will have at least 50 people in attendance, a Special Event permit may be required.


SDOT issues Street Use permits for any activity that temporarily closes a street or sidewalk except for those including escorted processions, parades, or any activity in which Police Department personnel are required. This type of activity would be classified as a Special Event

Special Activities are mid-size events that temporarily close a non-arterial street and are open to the general public. Special Activities are larger than Neighborhood Block Parties, which close residential streets and are only for people living along that particular block. Families and close friends may also be invited.

During the Special Activity, “STREET CLOSED” signs and barricades are required. These signs must meet SDOT requirements and be supplied by the group or person applying for the Street Use permit. For specific details, visit the Seattle Traffic Control Manual web page and scroll down to Chapter VIII Detours and Street Closures, or click here to learn how to properly set up barricades. Neighborhood Block Party closure signs are not acceptable for Special Activity closures.

Heavy items that cannot be moved must not be erected in the street area during the activity and a street cannot be closed that is on a bus route.


Fill out the application to apply for a Special Activity Street Use Permit. (This application includes both the Street Use General Application, which all applicants must fill out, and the Annual Permit Application, which is specific to your project.) When completing the form - under ‘Work Description’ check the box for ‘Street Barricading, Special Activities (3A)’ and include the following information:

  1. Estimated number of people you expect to attend.
  2. Date of your event.
  3. Beginning and ending times.
  4. A site plan which indicates the non-arterial street you want to close and layout of event.
  5. Identify the neighborhood group or organization that is sponsoring the event.
  6. Provide insurance documentation with a minimum liability of $1,000,000 and the City as an additional insured. See CAM 2102 for more information
  7. Field Review fee of $172.00
  8. For street closures, submit proof of notification that the affected property owners have been notified of the special activity. This should include contact information for these property owners (name, phone, address).

Your application must be received at least 21 days before your event.


The fee for a Special Activity permit is $146.00 plus a $86.00 inspection fee for a total of $232.00 per event. DO NOT send in payment with your application. Fees are collected at the time the permit is issued and can be made with a credit card or a check payable to the City of Seattle.

To submit your application:

To download the application for your Special Activities, click here

SDOT – Street Use Division, Attn: Annual Permits
P.O. Box # 34996
Seattle, WA 98124-4996
Fax: Attn: Annual Permits
(206) 684-5347


The Street Use Permit Counter is located on the 23rd Floor of Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 Fifth Avenue. The counter's operating hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Thursday opens at 10:30 am effective February 2010. If you have questions, or call: (206) 684-5267


The Office of Economic Development (OED) administers the Farmers Market program for the City. An organization must meet the definition of a Farmers Market in order to qualify for this type of Street Use permit.

If your organization qualifies, OED will convene all necessary City departments in order to streamline the permitting process for the applicant. Similar to other Special Activity permits, Farmers Markets may only occur on non-arterial streets and is discouraged on Metro bus routes.

For information about Farmers Markets, contact Chris Swenson with the Office of Economic Development at 206-733-9245 or for more assistance.

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Site Index | News | FAQs | E-Mail Alerts