Traffic Signal Control Box Artwork: Art Proposal
The first step in adding artwork to traffic signal control boxes (signal boxes) is to select an artist, or develop designs, and find funding to install and maintain the artwork.
The second step is to submit an artwork proposal. Scroll down for submission contact information. The proposal must include:
- Design – Follow design guidelines and use the proposal template to submit color renderings at a 1/8” scale on 11x17” paper. If more than one design is being proposed, submit representative images for each one.
- Locations and sizes of signal boxes–
- To develop a consistent visual experience, proposals shall be for at least three signal boxes in close proximity to each other. Signal boxes proposed to be treated should not be located directly next to existing art in the City’s public art collection http://www.seattle.gov/arts/publicart/default.asp .
- If you see art next to signal boxes, contact Jason Huff, firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-684-7278
- Timeline- Develop a schedule for design review, Street Use permitting review, and installation of the artwork.
- Contact information for the artist/organization
- Installation plan – To make sure installation guidelines are followed include a plan and state who will be in charge of installing the artwork.
- Maintenance Plan – Include a plan for maintaining artwork and removal of artwork
- Budget—The budget should include: costs of developing artwork, any applicable licensing fees for photos or maps, materials and expected maintenance costs.
- A resume of lead artists/designers, if applicable
- Evidence of community outreach and support for the project
- Certificate of Approval from Historic District, if applicable.
SDOT and the Office of Arts & Culture must approve artwork before moving to the second step of submitting a Street Use Annual Permit Application.
Artwork proposals should be submitted to:
SDOT Signal Operations
Attention: Polly Forsberg
700 Fifth Avenue, Seattle Municipal Tower 37th Floor
P.O. Box 34996
Seattle, WA, 98124-4669
For questions email: Dawn.Schellenberg@Seattle.gov, or call 206-684-5189.