Link to Transportation Home Page Link to Transportation Home Page Link to Transportation About Us Page Link to Transportation Contact Us Page
Delivering a first-rate transportation system for Seattle Scott Kubly, Director







Site Index

Street Use Home
Getting a Permit
Pay Permit Fees or Check Status
Fees Information
Permit Services Online Help
Access Seattle: Hub Coordination
Construction Use & Simple Utility Permits
Public Space Permits
Major Improvements Permits
Street Improvement Permit
Utility Coordination in City Streets
Urban Forestry Permits
Applications, Forms & Templates
TCP Base Map Tool
Codes & Rules
Client Assistance Memos
Street Vacations
Resolving Permit Disputes
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Street Use

SDOT Street Use: Major Improvements Permits

New Required Utility Permit Submittal Email

To better serve you in Seattles continuing construction surge, we are giving utility permit customers a separate submittal email.

Beginning July 1, 2017, Utility Permit customers must submit all Simple Utility and Major Utility Permit inquiries and materials to

These materials will be going directly into a newly integrated email inbox so that our team can have consistent access and provide you with more efficient service!

All other permit-related inquiries and materials may be submitted to

Questions? Contact Melody Berry at

Shoring and Excavation

Shoring permits are issued for work that supports the earth in a trench or vertical cut for construction or other activity. Excavation permits are issued for excavations in or near the right of way that could, by the nature of the excavation, negatively impact the right of way or utilities in the right of way. In cases where the right of way will be affected by shoring or excavation, Street Use performs shoring review in partnership with the Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections (Seattle DCI).

Street Improvements and Plan Review

Street improvement permits include the installation of major improvements such as street paving, curbs, and sidewalks in conjunction with development on private property. Included in the permit are utilities that are necessary to serve the private development. This type of permit can also be issued for larger community projects, such as a block-long rain garden or a curb bulb.

The Street Use Street Improvement Permits (SIP) group can assist you in interpreting and applying Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections (Seattle DCI) Land Use Code requirements for improvements in the right of way during design and construction. SIP provides project management and facilitates approval for private projects ranging from single family residences to large-scale mixed use developments and major interdepartmental projects for SDOT.

Major Utility Permits

Major utility permits are issued for the installation of underground and overhead utility mains and services in the public right of way. They are distinguished from simple utility permits by their greater length and/or by scope elements that require enhanced technical review. Generally, this utility work is greater than 100 feet in length, disturbs existing curb lines or crosswalk areas, or involves directional drilling. Please refer to Client Assistance Memo 2600 for more information.

Utility Permit Publications

Utility Major Intake Transmittal Form

Utility and Pavement Restoration Plan Checklist

Impact of Utility Cuts on Performance of Seattle Streets (PDF format): Final Report (including Appendix A, Literature Review) | Appendix C, Utility Cut Surveys | Appendix D, Deflection Test Data, Part One | Appendix D, Deflection Test Data, Part Two | Appendix D, Deflection Test Data, Part Three

Standards for Plans for Street Use Utility Permits

Standards for Above Ground Cabinets Director Rule SDOT 2-2009

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Site Index | News | FAQs | E-Mail Alerts