Last updated 03/10/2014
Closure of northbound Dexter Ave. N between Roy and Valley streets
On Saturday, March 15, between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., northbound Dexter Ave. N between Roy and Valley streets will be fully closed to accommodate utility work beneath the roadway. During the closure:
- Northbound Dexter Ave. N will be fully closed to traffic between Roy and Valley streets. Travelers heading north toward Fremont should use Ninth Ave. N or Westlake Ave. N.
- Southbound Dexter Ave. N will be restricted to one lane between Valley and Mercer streets.
- Uniformed police officers will be stationed throughout the work zone to facilitate traffic flow.
Early warning signs will be available in advance of Dexter Ave. N detours. Travelers can expect delays and should plan ahead and use alternate routes.
Daytime lane restrictions on eastbound Mercer St. between 5th Ave. N and Dexter Ave. N
On Saturday, March 15, between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., eastbound Mercer St. will be restricted to one lane between 5th Ave. N and Dexter Ave. N to accommodate utility work beneath the roadway. During the closure:
- One eastbound lane on Mercer St. will remain open at all times.
- Travelers heading east from 5th Ave. N should take Harrison St. to eastbound Broad St. to reconnect with Mercer St. at 9th Ave. N as an alternate route.
Intermittent lane closures on Mercer St. for approximately 3 weeks
Eastbound Mercer St. between 3rd Ave. N and Dexter Ave. N will have intermittent lane closures during off-peak travel times between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to accommodate construction activities within the work zone. One lane on eastbound Mercer St. will remain open at all times.
Lane restrictions on southbound 5th Ave. N and eastbound Roy St.
Beginning Monday, February 2, the intersection of 5th Ave. N and Roy St. will be restricted to accommodate sidewalk restoration and conduit installation. During this work, travelers can expect:
- Roy St. and 5th Ave. N restricted to one lane during off-peak travel times from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. weekdays for approximately 2 weeks.
- Adjacent crosswalks will be closed and pedestrians detoured up to two blocks around the closure.
- Parking adjacent to the work zone will be restricted.
- Local access to businesses and properties will be maintained at all times.
- Right turns from southbound 5th Ave. N onto westbound Roy St. will be permitted.
- One of the two left turn lanes from northbound 5th Ave. N onto westbound Roy St. will be closed.
Pedestrian improvement work on the south side of Mercer St. this winter
This winter, crews will make improvements to utilities, sidewalks, curbs and ADA ramps along the south side of Mercer St. as part of the Mercer Corridor Project. This work marks the beginning of sidewalk improvements on the south side of Mercer St. Work will generally progress from west to east and will continue beyond Warren Ave. N in the coming weeks. Updated detour information will become available as work conditions change.
Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Crosswalks adjacent to the work zones will be temporarily closed
- Pedestrian routes will be detoured and advanced signage will be posted
- Parking adjacent to the work zone along the south side of Mercer St. will be restricted
- Local access to businesses and adjacent properties will be maintained at all times
- Work hours will be approximately 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Pedestrian improvement work on Roy St. and W Mercer St. continues throughout the winter
Continuing through winter of 2014, crews will make improvements to sidewalks, curbs and ADA ramps at various corners along Roy St. and W. Mercer St. and install a pedestrian island at 5th Ave. W.
Work at each corner is anticipated to last 2-3 weeks, and will generally affect two or more corners per intersection at a time.
Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Crosswalks adjacent to the work zone will be temporarily closed and pedestrian traffic detours up to two blocks around the closure as crews remove sidewalks and curbs
- Parking adjacent to affected corners will be restricted during work
- Curb lane restrictions or other vehicle traffic impacts will be removed outside of normal working hours, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Current Traffic Configuration
Travelers can expect the following changes when traveling through to the corridor during construction:
- Mercer St. reduced to two eastbound lanes between 4th Ave. N and 9th Ave. N.
- Local access maintained at Taylor Ave. N.
- The sidewalk on the south side of Mercer St. is closed between 5th Ave. N and Dexter Ave. N to facilitate construction activities on the south side of the roadway. The sidewalk on the north side of Mercer St. will remain open on a temporary asphalt path.
- Broad St. open to two-way traffic.
- SR 99 traffic shifted to the east side of the roadway between Valley and Harrison streets. Two lanes of SR 99 in each direction will remain open.
- The northbound SR 99 off-ramp to Mercer St. is permanently closed. A new signalized intersection at Republican St. and Dexter Ave. N is available for northbound SR 99 traffic to reach South Lake Union.
- Due to the re-opening of Broad St. to two-way traffic, left turns from eastbound and westbound Mercer St. onto 9th Ave. N will be restricted in order to facilitate traffic flow on Mercer St. Travelers heading north towards Westlake and Fremont should use Dexter Ave. N to reach their destinations.
Lane reductions on Mercer St. will continue throughout the West Phase of the Mercer Corridor Project, which is anticipated to be completed in mid-2015. Construction of this $95 million project will take approximately 2.5 years.
Click here to view detour maps.