Last updated 04/14/2014
Intermittent daytime lane restrictions on 5th Ave. N between Republican and Roy streets: April 14-18
Beginning Monday, April 14 and lasting approximately one week, Fifth Ave. N between Republican and Roy streets will be intermittently restricted to one lane in each direction to accommodate sawcutting and paving activities. During this work:
- Both northbound and southbound Fifth Ave. N will be intermittently reduced to one lane between Republican and Roy streets. One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times.
- Work will occur during off-peak travel times, between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Travelers heading toward I-5 from Queen Anne should utilize Queen Anne Ave. N and Denny Way as alternate routes.
- Travelers should expect delays and use alternative routes where possible.
Intermittent lane closures on Mercer St. for approximately 3 weeks
Eastbound Mercer St. between 3rd Ave. N and Dexter Ave. N will have intermittent lane closures during off-peak travel times between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to accommodate construction activities within the work zone. One lane on eastbound Mercer St. will remain open at all times.
Pedestrian improvement work on the south side of Mercer St. this spring
This spring, crews will continue to make improvements to utilities, sidewalks, curbs and ADA ramps along the south side of Mercer St. as part of the Mercer Corridor Project. Updated detour information will become available as work conditions change.
Travelers can expect the following impacts:
- Crosswalks adjacent to the work zones will be temporarily closed
- Pedestrian routes will be detoured and advanced signage will be posted
- Parking adjacent to the work zone along the south side of Mercer St. will be restricted
- Local access to businesses and adjacent properties will be maintained at all times
- Work hours will be approximately 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Current Traffic Configuration
Travelers can expect the following changes when traveling through to the corridor during construction:
- Mercer St. reduced to two eastbound lanes between 4th Ave. N and 9th Ave. N.
- Local access maintained at Taylor Ave. N.
- The sidewalk on the south side of Mercer St. is closed between 5th Ave. N and Dexter Ave. N to facilitate construction activities on the south side of the roadway. The sidewalk on the north side of Mercer St. will remain open on a temporary asphalt path.
- Broad St. open to two-way traffic.
- SR 99 traffic shifted to the east side of the roadway between Valley and Harrison streets. Two lanes of SR 99 in each direction will remain open.
- The northbound SR 99 off-ramp to Mercer St. is permanently closed. A new signalized intersection at Republican St. and Dexter Ave. N is available for northbound SR 99 traffic to reach South Lake Union.
- Due to the re-opening of Broad St. to two-way traffic, left turns from eastbound and westbound Mercer St. onto 9th Ave. N will be restricted in order to facilitate traffic flow on Mercer St. Travelers heading north towards Westlake and Fremont should use Dexter Ave. N to reach their destinations.
Lane reductions on Mercer St. will continue throughout the West Phase of the Mercer Corridor Project, which is anticipated to be completed in mid-2015. Construction of this $95 million project will take approximately 2.5 years.
Click here to view detour maps.