S Holgate St – Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements
Updated: May 2, 2017
What’s happening now?
On May 1, 2017, crews will begin construction to replace the pedestrian access staircase to S Holgate St Bridge and build curb ramps on the corner of S Holgate and 8th Ave S. We expect the work to last from May through early September 2017. We'll work to reduce the impacts as much as possible. We're committed to keeping the community informed and will share project updates via email.
Click here to subscribe to receive project email updates.
What to expect during construction:
- Typical weekday work hours, 7 AM – 5 PM
- Typical construction noise, dust, and vibration
- Restrictions near the work zone:
- Parking restrictions under the S Holgate St bridge; the construction contractor will use this area of the public right-of-way for staging equipment and materials
- Pedestrian and bike detours – please follow posted signs
- Temporary driveway restrictions – we will notify you individually if you'll be impacted
- The bus stop for King County Metro Route 124 on westbound S Holgate St will be temporarily closed during this work starting May 1; passengers should use the stop on Airport Way S north of S Hill St. For more information about bus service, look for Rider Alert notices at bus stops, visit Metro Online at http://metro.kingcounty.gov/alerts/, or call 206-553-3000
- As soon as May 1, westbound S Holgate St will be closed from Airport Way S to 8th Ave S; westbound drivers should follow posted detour signs to S Stacy St or S Massachusetts (see map)
- Drivers should expect temporary flaggers, lane shifts, and delays on the S Holgate St bridge during the installation of the pedestrian construction detour
- Drivers should expect reduced lane widths on the S Holgate St Bridge to accommodate pedestrian access around the work zone
SDOT plans to construct safety and access improvements in Spring 2017 along S Holgate St near 8th Ave S. We are committed to making it safer and easier for residents in the neighborhood to walk and bike. This will help achieve Seattle's Vision Zero to end traffic deaths and serious injuries by 2030.
The S Holgate St bridge is an important connection between Beacon Hill, The Mountains to Sound Trail and the SODO neighborhood and an important emergency route. We have identified the pedestrian access staircase, near 8th Ave S, as needing improvements.
This project will:
- Improve safety and access on the walking and biking route along S Holgate St and 8th Ave S
We have completed the design for this project. It includes:
- Curb ramps on the north west side of S Holgate St and 8th Ave S
- Sidewalk extensions and a new marked crosswalk
- Removing the staircase along west bound S Holgate St and building a new ramp and walkway that will be easier and safer for people riding bicycles, and people with disabilities
Staircase along west bound S Holgate St before upgrades and improvements
We are moving forward with construction for this project. We anticipate construction will begin as early as May 2017.
Project construction is funded by the 9-year Levy to Move Seattle, approved by voters in 2015. Learn more about the levy at www.seattle.gov/LevytoMoveSeattle.
Questions or Comments?
If you have questions about the project, please contact our outreach team directly at PedestrianImprovements3@seattle.gov or (206) 727-3580. We stay up to date on the latest project details, schedule, and design. It's our job to answer your questions. We look forward to hearing from you!
Click here and sign up to receive regular email project updates.
PedestrianImprovements3@seattle.gov | 206-727-3580 (project voicemail)