SDOT Mission, Vision, Goals and Values
To deliver a safe, reliable, efficient,
and socially equitable
transportation system that enhances Seattle's environment and economic vitality.
A Vibrant Seattle Through Transportation Excellence.
To achieve transportation excellence we will:
- Preserve the existing transportation infrastructure and use it to its fullest capabilities.
- Move people and goods efficiently and safely, using technology wherever possible to overcome transportation challenges.
- Reduce reliance on the automobile and make transit, bicycling and walking convenient and attractive.
- Shape future transportation improvements that reflect Seattle's role and connections to the region.
- Incorporate environmental excellence and climate protection into every decision, project and program.
- Promote the livability of our neighborhoods and communities.
- Provide outstanding customer service to Seattle residents, businesses, neighborhoods, visitors and regional partners.
- Guide investments that contribute to the economic vitality of neighborhood businesses and industries in Seattle and the region.
- Eliminate departmental practices, procedures and policies that have disproportionate impacts upon people of color.
- Manage resources wisely with performance measures.
- Recruit, train and retain a diverse and multicultural work force and value and respect our employees.
When we practice these values SDOT will be a caring, respectful and honest organization. We will be known for our integrity, our ability to work with people to solve problems and our creativity. Each person in the organization will be able to develop to her or his full potential. SDOT will be a lively, upbeat and energetic place to be and place to work.
We take pride in providing quality public service.
We are professionals in our field and we conduct ourselves as such.
We hold ourselves responsible for our success and actively work for others to succeed.
We have a healthy balance between work and our personal lives.
Everyone in the organization is valued and is appreciated for their contributions to our SDOT team.
We respect and appreciate each others differences, whether those differences be racial, national origin, ethnic, language, gender, life experience, or sexual orientation.
We communicate directly, respectfully and honestly with each other.
We are all responsible for a safe and healthy work environment.
We are innovative and creative in our work to improve the quality of life in Seattle.