Leak Adjustments

You may be eligible for a billing adjustment if you have an underground leak between the meter and foundation of your house or building. The service line could be water service, irrigation, or fire services.

An account is eligible for adjustment due to an underground leak only after the following requirements have been completed:

  1. The customer submits a documented request for an adjustment due to high water and sewer consumption on the utility bill.
  2. SPU inspects and approves the repair work of an underground service line prior to backfilling.
  3. The repair of an underground service line is completed within six months after receiving the initial high utility bill indicating a leak.

Account adjustments are not eligible for the following types of leaks:

  • Toilet leaks
  • Irrigation system valves, timers, sprinkler heads, backflow devices, and any other irrigation system accessories
  • Irrigation system leaks
  • Hot water and expansion tank leaks
  • Hose bib (spigot) leaks
  • Indoor plumbing and appliances, including faucets and radiant floor heat
  • Pools, water features and their plumbing lines
  • Discolored water complaints due to flushing
  • Theft or vandalism
  • Crawl-space or basement leaks

For questions about leak adjustments, please call (206) 684-5800.

Related utility assistance links

Human Services Department