Fog Covered Skyline
Seattle City Light DEBRA SMITH, General Manager and CEO
Assistance Programs
Pay My Bill   
Lady at Desk

Assistance Programs

City Light offers several payment assistance programs for income-eligible customers. For questions or help choosing which program is right for you, contact us online or call 206-684-3000.

Emergency Low Income Assistance (ELIA)

The Emergency Low Income Assistance (ELIA) program is for customers who have received a 10-day notice on balances of $250 or more. You are encouraged to apply for assistance from LIHEAP (details below) as well.

To participate, you need to first make the payment that is due to avoid disconnection, as well as payment arrangements on the remaining balance. Participants may receive up to $200. Assistance is limited to once every calendar year. If children under the age of 18 live in the household, then assistance is available twice every calendar year. If you need more information, please call (206) 684-3688 or email Click here to download an application to this program.

Project SHARE

Project Share is funded by customers' donations, and is available to customers that have participated in LIHEAP and ELIA. Initially, it will pay up to $250 towards the customer's City Light bill. If the customer makes a payment within two weeks of referral or interview, Project Share will contribute a matching pledge of $1 for every $1 the customer pays, with $500 being the maximum amount available. For more information call (206) 684-3000. Click here to download an application to this program.


Income qualified customers may also be eligible for HomeWise, the City of Seattle's weatherization program. Improvements like insulation and heating system replacement or repair, can help you save energy, lower heating and cooling costs, and save money on your bill. Call (206) 684-0244 or visit homewise.

Federal Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

If your main source of heat is electricity, gas, or heating oil, and you need help paying your utility bill, call or schedule online:
  • Residents of Seattle call 206-486-6828 or schedule online at Byrd Barr Place.
  • Residents of South King County call 253-517-2263 or schedule online at Multi-Service Center.
  • Residents of North & East King County call 425-658-2592 or schedule online at Hopelink.
In addition to energy assistance; this federally funded program offers energy education, budget counselling, and weatherization services.

2-1-1: if you are in need of utility assistance and/or health and human services, please call 2-1-1. The 2-1-1 Community Resources line is a shortcut to locating information, agencies, and support services within your zip code. 2-1-1 specialists can provide referrals to utility, food, shelter, housing, employment, rental assistance, financial assistance and governmental assistance. To learn more about 2-1-1, please either call 2-1-1 or visit online.

  • Contact Seattle City Light

    700 5th Avenue
    Suite 3200
    P.O. Box 34023
    Seattle, WA 98124-4023

    Account & General Questions:

    Contact Us