Adult Family Homes

See also: House Additions & Remodels, Earthquake Home Retrofit Permit

What Is It?

A white woman with orange hair in front of a house next to a smaller accessory dwelling unit.An Adult Family Home is a dwelling, licensed by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), in which someone provides room and board and care for up to 6 adults not related to the person providing the services. This page applies to converting an existing single-family residence into an Adult Family Home. The projects discussed here are reviewed under the Seattle Residential Building Code (SRC).

If you want add additional rooms to an existing Adult Family Home, contact DSHS for more information.

What Permits Do You Need?

You need to get a construction permit from SDCI. Please note that even if you are not proposing any construction, you still need to obtain a construction permit to establish the use as an Adult Family Home. Also note, that changing the use from a single-family residence to an Adult Family Home will trigger substantial alterations and may require upgrades, including seismic upgrades, to the entire building.

In addition, you will need to obtain a license from DSHS. More information on DSHS requirements is available on their website.

Research the Code

The SRC has specific requirements for Adult Family Homes.

Associated Documents

Should You Hire a Professional?

You may want the help of a professional to prepare documents for your construction permit application.