What's Happening in Your Neighborhood

Research Activity 

There are several ways you can research development activity in your neighborhood:

Find Documents

Electronic Documents
Our electronic documents are filed by permit or address, and are available from approximately 2006 to present. You can find find electronic documents related to a permit, project, or application by using our our Permit & Property Records Search tool. If you don't know the permit number or project address, you can search for it on our Shaping Seattle: Property & Building Activity map. If you don't find what you're looking for in our electronic library, you may find them in our microfilm library.

Microfilmed Documents
Our microfilmed documents provide historical permit information and are filed by address. Our microfilm library is open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Tuesday and Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. It is located on the 20th floor of the Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Ave. You can contact us at (206) 233-5180 (message line only) or at sci_microfilm@seattle.gov.  

Building Plans
Building plans are available by request through our microfilm library. You can visit our microfilm library to view the complete building plan and select the pages you want to copy. You can also order copies of drawings in either paper or electronic formats in person, or by email at sci_microfilm@seattle.gov. Please provide the property address and permit number.

You can order copies of documents at the following costs, plus postage if necessary:

  • $1.55 a page for paper copies of microfilmed records
  • $0.70 a page for paper copies of electronic records
  • $0.10 per page for electronic copies of microfilmed plans and permits

Contact Us

  • File a complaint: You can submit a complaint about potential violations of our housing, land use, construction, noise, and other codes. Life-threatening emergencies and / or after-hours noise complaints should be reported to 911.
  • Submit a comment: You can comment on a project during the public comment period. We publish the comment period in our Land Use Information Bulletin and on the notice of proposed land use action posted on the project site. We post all public comments, in their entirety, on our website.
  • Submit an appeal: You can submit an appeal to the Hearing Examiner for land use projects and to the State Shorelines Hearings Board for shoreline projects.
  • Find a phone number: You can find phone numbers by topic and by manager.