Boiler & Pressure Vessel Permit

What Is It?

You need a permit to install boilers and pressure vessels in the city of Seattle. There are some special requirements to consider before applying for a permit. Boilers or pressure vessels must be:

  • Manufactured in accordance with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and bear the ASME Code symbol stamp
  • Registered with the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessels, except for cast iron boilers and miniature pressure vessels
  • Within the sizing requirements specified by the Seattle Energy Code, if it is used for space or comfort heating    

When choosing an installation location for boilers, consider:

  • The venting system (how you will route the boiler exhaust gases); this is not a consideration for electric boilers
  • How you will provide combustion air to the boiler room or enclosure
  • Whether there is a floor drain in the boiler room
  • Whether the boiler room is large enough for the required access clearance around and above the boiler

You may also need a business license if you are working in Seattle, even if your office is outside the city.

Note: Seattle Energy Code Section C403.1.4 restricts the use of electric resistance and fossil fuel-fired equipment for HVAC heating in most buildings, and Section C404.2.3 restricts the use of electric resistance and fossil fuel-fired service water heating equipment in Group R-1 and R-2 buildings.

How Much Does It Cost?

Our fees for boiler installation permits are based on the size of the heating surface and electric power. Our fees for pressure vessels are based on their length times diameter in feet. All fees are subject to an additional technology fee as described in the Fee Subtitle.

How Long Does It Take?

We issue boiler and pressure vessel permits online through the Seattle Services Portal. You should receive your permit as soon as you pay your fees. 

Steps To Get Your Permit

Create an account. Go to the Seattle Services Portal and click the Register for an Account link in the upper right of the screen. Follow the prompts to create an account.

Start your application. You will need a separate permit for each boiler and/or pressure vessel. Complete the Boiler-Pressure Vessel Permit application online using the Seattle Services Portal. (Click on Permits - Trade, Construction, and Land Use to get to the boiler permit.) Follow the application prompts. You will need:

  • Work site address and work activity location
  • Work site owner or tenant contact name, address, and telephone number
  • Contractor information, including any state license number and City business license number
  • For all property types other than single-family/duplex, an equipment data sheet (spec sheet) needs to be uploaded to your application
  • For larger projects we may also require a plan set

Pay fees. For single-family/duplex properties you need to pay your permit fees at intake. For all other property types, permit fees are due after your application has been reviewed and processed. If you perform a high volume of installations, you may want to set up an advance deposit (trust) account with us. Trust accounts require that you maintain a minimum balance in the account. Fees for your permit applications are automatically drawn from the account as you submit them. For more information on setting up an escrow account, call the OTC Permit Desk at (206) 684-8464.

Pay final fees. We will notify you if you need to pay any final fees before we issue your permit.  

Print your permit. We will notify you when we have issued your permit and the documents are available in your Seattle Services Portal. Print the permit and approved plan set. 

Display your permit. Place your permit in a visible location on the project site.

After your permit is issued, schedule the required inspections

Construction and Inspections

Nathan Torgelson, Director
Address: 700 5th Ave, Suite 2000, Seattle, WA, 98104
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA, 98124-4019
Phone: (206) 684-8600
Phone Alt: Violation Complaint Line: (206) 615-0808
Contact Us

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from Construction and Inspections

SDCI issues land use, construction, and trade permits, conducts construction and housing-related inspections, ensures compliance with our codes, and regulates rental rules. SDCI is committed to an antiracist workplace and to addressing racism through our work in the community.