Leak Adjustments

You may be eligible for a billing adjustment if you have an underground leak between the meter and foundation of your house or building. The service line could be for water service, irrigation, or fire services.

If you have an outdoor aboveground or crawl space leak, please contact (206) 684-5800 to review whether you are eligible for an adjustment to your sewer bill. Before any adjustment for an underground, aboveground, or crawl space leak is granted, the following must be completed:

  1. The repair is completed within six months after receiving the initial high utility bill indicating a leak. Do not cover up repairs until Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) has inspected and approved the repairs.
  2. The customer calls (206) 684-5800 once repairs are complete in order to schedule any necessary inspections of repairs.
  3. SPU inspects and approves the repair, replacement, or cut-and-cap prior to backfilling and covering repairs.
  4. Once inspection is approved, the customer calls (206) 684-5800 to request a billing adjustment.

Leak adjustments are not eligible for the following types of leaks:

  • Toilet leaks
  • Irrigation system valves, timers, sprinkler heads, backflow devices, and any other irrigation system accessories
  • Irrigation system leaks
  • Hot water and expansion tank leaks
  • Hose bib (spigot) leaks
  • Indoor plumbing and appliances, including faucets and radiant floor heat
  • Pools, water features and their plumbing lines
  • Discolored water complaints due to flushing
  • Theft or vandalism
  • Basement leaks

For more information about leak adjustments, see CS-325, Leak Adjustments. For additional questions, please call (206) 684-5800.


Related Resources