Water Service

All new water services or changes to existing water services within Seattle Public Utilities' (SPU's) direct water service area are regulated and approved by SPU, per Client Assistance Memo (CAM) 1202. This includes the cities of Seattle, Shoreline, Burien, Renton, Lake Forest Park, and unincorporated King County.

Generally, only one domestic water service is allowed per parcel. This includes backyard cottages, also known as detached accessory dwelling units (DADU), since the DADU is not on a separate parcel.

Before developing a property in an SPU water service area, you must request a water availability certificate. This will verify if water service is available for the parcel.

You can also research water availability with our water and sewer map.