Economic Displacement Relocation Assistance

Effective July 1, 2022, the Economic Displacement Relocation Assistance ordinance (EDRA) applies to any housing cost increase totaling 10% or more within the same 12 month period.

Tenant households earning 80% or less of Seattle’s average median income (AMI) that give notice to vacate after receipt of a 10% or more increase will be eligible to apply for financial assistance.

80% AMI (2024) Based on Household Sizes:

  • Household size 1 = $77,700
  • Household size 2 = $88,800
  • Household size 3 = $99,900
  • Household size 4 = $110,950
  • Household size 5 = $119,850
  • Household size 6 = $128,750
  • Household size 7 = $137,600
  • Household size 8 = $146,500

  • The City will process tenant applications and advance payment of three times the current monthly housing cost to eligible households.
  • Landlords will then be notified and required to reimburse the City for those relocation funds. 
  • All rental housing cost increases in Seattle require 180 days advance written notice. 
  • When an increase equals or exceeds 10% in a 12 month period, by a single increase or multiple increases, you must attach an EDRA notice that informs your tenants about the program.
  • The EDRA notice is translated in Amharic, Chinese (Traditional), Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
  • There is an appeal process for both landlords and tenant households. Detailed information will be included when you are notified about eligibility.

What is a household? 

For the purpose of EDRA applications, a household indicates the status of the renter or renters within a housing unit.  Typically, the word household is interpreted to mean a group of related people such as parents and children but households vary widely and can include:

  • Single individuals
  • Married couple or domestic partners
  • Parent(s) with children
  • Extended families that include parents, grandparents, grandchildren, and siblings

Households and Housing Units

A housing unit (house, apartment, individually rented room etc.) may have more than one household living in the unit.  Some examples of how households may occupy housing units include:

  • A house that has 5 bedrooms, each occupied by unrelated adults (5 households)
  • An apartment where a parent and child live (1 household)
  • A house where a family sublets a room to an unrelated friend (2 households)
  • An apartment where 6 people live, each as part of a couple in a domestic partnership (3 households)
  • An apartment where grandparents are raising their grandchildren and there are 2 unrelated roommates (3 households)

Next - Housing Cost Increase and Finding the Percentage

Renting in Seattle

Address: 700 5th Ave, Suite 2000, Seattle, WA, 98124
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA, 98124-4019
Phone: (206) 684-5700
Contact Us

The Seattle Department of Construction & Inspections (SDCI) includes permitting, construction inspections, code compliance and tenant protections, and rental housing registration and inspections.