Open, Close, or Move Services

If you have never had a Seattle utilities account before, start with our guide for customers who are new to the area.

If you are a current or former customer and need to move, open, or close an account, you have three options:


Before You Start...

Before you open or close an account, please note the following:

  • If you have sold your property, you will need the name of the buyer to close your account.
  • If you are closing an account, you will be billed for services until the account is properly closed with an effective date, meter reading, and forwarding address.
  • The following fees will be charged when opening or closing water, sewer, garbage, recycling, or food & yard (compost) accounts:
Service Type of Fee When Fee
Water Water Meter Reading Fee Closing Account $60
Garbage, Recyling, Food & Yard Account Setup Fee Opening Account $10
Sewer None None None


Requesting a Balance Refund

You can request a refund check for your Seattle Public Utilities or Seattle City Light account if you:

  • Are the account holder.
  • Have closed your account.
  • Have a credit balance after the final bill was issued for your account.
  • Do not receive utility rate assistance.

To make a refund request, call Customer Service at (206) 684-3000.