Moving - Open/Close Account

If you are moving, you have 3 options to open and/ or close your account:

  • Online (no fee)
    For Seattle Public Utility accounts (water, sewer, and garbage)
    For Seattle City Light residential accounts (electricity)
  • Customer Service, (206) 684-3000 (no fee)
  • Walk-In Service Center (no fee).
    Seattle Municipal Tower (formerly Key Tower), 700 5th Avenue, 4th floor (lobby entrance) in downtown Seattle

New customer requirements (if you are new to Seattle)

If you are new to Seattle and don’t have an account with us, you must call (206) 684-3000 to set up new accounts. This is to protect your identity.

Before you start

Review the online process and gather the required information ahead of time. You will need:

  • A water meter reading. Locate and read your water meter
  • Residential water, sewer, and garbage accounts will be maintained in the owner’s name only
  • The name of the buyer if you have sold your property

Fill out all required information. We cannot process applications that are not complete. You will be alerted that your application has been successfully submitted. Applications are usually processed within 3 business days.

If you are opening your account you will be selecting utility services that will be billed to you. If you are closing an account you will be billed for services until the account is properly closed with an effective date, meter reading and forwarding address.

Related links

Locate and Read your Water Meter