Garbage Can Rates

All residents within the City of Seattle are required by the Seattle Municipal Code to have garbage containers and pay for garbage service.

The easiest way to lower your garbage rate is to put more in your recycling and food waste carts. You may need a smaller garbage can size and your rate will be lower.

Garbage is billed every other month in advance. View Dumpster Rates.

Monthly Residential Garbage Can Rates

Service Level (weekly)Curb or Alley
(per month)
(per month)
April 1, 2019
April 1, 2020
April 1, 2019
April 1, 2020
micro-can (12 gallon)
View can, size and weight limit
$24.25 $25.00 N/A N/A
mini-can (20 gallon)
View can, size and weight limit
$29.70 $30.50 N/A N/A
32-gallon can
View can, size and weight limit
$38.65 $39.80 $54.00 $55.60
64-gallon cart
View cart, size and weight limit
$77.25 $79.55 $108.20 $111.45
96-gallon cart
View cart, size and weight limit
$115.90 $119.40 $162.25 $167.10
extra garbage (per bundle)
4' x 2' x 2' 60 lbs.
$12.00 $12.35 N/A N/A
Special Pickup Fee
Pick up fee is for collection of one container
$47.37 $48.80 N/A N/A

More rates and information

Extra garbage

Customers are charged for each extra bag, bundle or 32-gallon can beyond their monthly service level. Customers can also be charged for overflowing garbage that prevents the lid from closing. The maximum weight for extra garbage is 60 pounds per unit.

Vacancy rate and construction/unlivable allowance

The mandatory garbage charge for all occupied and unoccupied dwelling units applies whether the services are used or not. The mandatory charge can be waived or reduced, however, if buildings are unlivable or vacant for at least 60 days.

A vacancy rate of $6.85 per month ($13.70 per bill) may be granted for a single family residence that will not be occupied or used as a residence for at least 60 consecutive days. Garbage and recycling must not be set out for collection during this time.

A construction/unlivable allowance (no charge) applies to buildings that are deemed "unlivable" by the Solid Waste Inspector. The construction/unlivable allowance may apply to:

  • Single family residences that are unlivable for at least 60 consecutive days.
  • New single family constructions (until occupied).
  • Individual units in multi-family buildings that are unlivable for 60 consecutive days or that have been permanently converted to storage units.

To request a special rate

Call SPU Customer Service at (206) 684-3000 to request a special rate, backyard pickup, or waiver. Requests can be made by the person responsible for paying the Combined Utility Bill, such as:

  • Owners
  • Agents/Managers
  • Executors of Estates

Related links

Utility Assistance Program (Get help with your utility bill)
Recycle at Your House
Food & Yard Waste at Your House

Reduce, Reuse & Exchange