Apartment Residents

Compost Food - It's Not Garbage Anymore!

Food and compostable paper, including pizza boxes, paper napkins and paper towels, are not allowed in Seattle's garbage.

Sorting food and yard waste into the food and yard waste cart reduces garbage and greenhouse gases, saves landfill space, and results in compost that enriches the soil of local parks and gardens.

Learn more about the benefits of composting.

Recycling Volunteer

If you are a dedicated recycler, ask your property manager if you can sign up as your property's Recycling Volunteer. In addition to helping your community and the environment, the property will get a one-time $100 utility bill credit and could receive free kitchen bins.

What goes in my food and yard waste cart?

All food scraps are accepted, including: fruit, vegetables, yard trimmings, meat, dairy, and fish, as well as food-soiled waste like pizza boxes, paper napkins and kitchen paper towels.

How do I store kitchen scraps?

Use a reusable container with a lid, approved compostable bags, or wrap food scraps in newspaper or a paper bag. No plastic bags or containers are allowed. .

Want to start Food and Yard Waste service?

If you can't find the food and yard waste bin at your building, ask your manager for the location.

City law requires all residential properties, including apartments and condominiums, to make a food and yard waste bin available for residents. If your property doesn't have food and yard waste service, ask your property owner or manager to review the Apartment/Condo Owners website and sign up.

Reduce waste at community meetings and parties

Use this handy tip sheet (pdf) to minimize waste at your gatherings.

Compost on your property

Some properties prefer to make compost at home. This can save money and benefit the environment. However, no dairy or meat products can go into a home pile due to potential odor or animal and pest problems.

Are you a new resident?

New water/sewer/garbage accounts are no longer opened in tenant names. The property owner – whose name is on the bill – can contact customer service at (206) 684-3000 to have a copy of the bill sent to their tenant. The original bill will continue to be mailed to the property owner at their mailing address, and a clearly marked duplicate copy will be sent to the service address.

Renters can open individual electric accounts through Seattle City Light to establish credit through a utility account.

Current accounts in tenant names will remain active until closing is requested.

Learn about tenant accounts.