During a widespread emergency, we will update this site and use various communication tools to keep you safe and informed about SPU’s services.

Life-threatening emergencies: call 911

Flooding, Sewer Backups or Overflows, and Pollution and Spills:

Call Operations Control Center at (206) 386-1800
(24 hours, 7 days per week)


Call (206) 386-1800 for surface water flooding.

If your house is flooding inside:

  • Turn your water off at your in-home shut-off valve, then call (206) 386-1800.
  • Can't locate or operate your valve? Check for a water shut-off valve at the water meter box located near the street.
  • Call if there isn't a valve at the water meter or you can't operate the valve.
  • Call if a water pipe appears broken in the street or sidewalk area.

Call (206) 386-1800 if you notice a problem with your water quality, i.e., discoloration, taste, or odor issues.

Plan ahead if you think you may need sandbags. During fall and winter, SPU notifies customers where we have sandbags for residents in flood-prone areas to pick up.

Sewer Backups or Overflows

Call (206) 386-1800 if you see sewage or smell surfacing in the street, from maintenance holes, or from any other sources.

If you are experiencing a sewer backup in the building or overflow on property:

  • Stop using water.
  • If sewer backup or overflow stops, call a plumber to check the private side sewer.
  • If not a private side sewer issue, Call (206) 386-1800.

Pollution and Spills

Call (206) 386-1800:

  • if you see substance ponding or streaks on public property such as streets or sheens on water bodies such as streams and creeks,
  • to report for the Spill response program,
  • to report landslides. Keep your distance from the slide area.

Garbage, Recycling, Food and Yard

Call (206) 684-3000 (Mon – Fri, 7:30 AM – 6 PM) to report a missed collection.