Small Water Service – 2-Inches and Smaller

To apply for a new 2-inch or less water service or change an existing water service, follow these steps:

  • Apply for and receive an approved water availability certificate (WAC) (pdf).
  • Submit a water service application (pdf) with a utility site plan as defined in CAM 1202.
  • For additional water services (such as a short plat or unit lot subdivision), complete a Request for Additional Water Services Addendum (pdf) for each of the assigned addresses. A separate application is not required for each address.
  • Provide either a Seattle Department of Transportation Street Use Permit (51M) for pavement restoration, or a Street Improvement Plan (SIP) showing restoration of water service related work.
    • If outside of Seattle, contact your local jurisdiction for paving restoration requirements.
  • After you complete the steps above, a project lead will review your application.
  • Once the water service application has been reviewed and any required corrections have been resolved, you will receive an invoice via email.
  • Pay your invoice (see payment instructions on the second page of your invoice).
  • To confirm compliance with Washington State Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention and Uniform Plumbing Code (pdf) requirements, you will need to:
    • Call (206) 684-3536 with questions related to backflow protection before installation or to schedule a backflow inspection after installation.
    • Call (206) 684-5800 to request an inspection of the underground water service lines on property after installation, but prior to covering.
    Contact the SPU Development Service Office at or (206) 684-3333 for assistance or to talk to your assigned project lead.

    Other water service questions

    Apply for a water availability certificate (WAC) (pdf). All new water services, regardless of size, require a WAC. You will receive a completed WAC in approximately one week.

    How long will it take to get a water service?

    Due to the unprecedented high volumes of construction in the Seattle area, it takes approximately 80 days for nonarterial and 100 days for arterial tap installation from the date payment is received.

    Please contact your Seattle Public Utilities project lead for more specifics on your tap timelines.

    What size water pipe do I need?

    Water service is based on the diameter of your water pipe, which is regulated by the Seattle Plumbing Code.

    • Most single-family residences require a 3/4-inch diameter water pipe with a 5/8-inch water meter.
    • If a fire suppression system is required, the minimum size is a 1-inch diameter water pipe with a 1-inch meter.
    • For larger projects, including commercial buildings, the water service must be designed by a licensed mechanical engineer.

    Water service installation fees

    Meter sizeConnection chargeInstallation feeInstallation and connection total
      Non-Arterial Street Arterial Non-Arterial Street Arterial
    Domestic services:
    3/4 x 5x8 inch $1,700 + $4,000 $5,325 = $5,700 $7,025
    1 inch $2,890 + $4,150 $5,475 = $7,040 $8,365
    1 ½ inch $5,610 + $6,975 $7,925 = $12,585 $13,535
    2 inches $9,010 + $7,750 $8,700 = $16,760 $17,710
    2 inch High Flow $9,010 + $9,100 $10,050 = $18,110 $19,060
    • Street restoration is an extra fee.
    • Fees are higher for installations on arterials to account for the higher costs associated with these jobs.
    • Multiple ¾-inch and 1-inch services installed with a manifold will receive a reduction for each additional service.