Food & Yard Waste - Multi-Family

Food and compostable paper, including pizza boxes, paper napkins and paper towels, are not allowed in the garbage.

By law, Seattle apartment and condominium properties of five or more units must provide a food waste collection bin for residents to use.

To subscribe, adjust the bin size, or report missed service or a missing liner for the bin, call (206) 684-7665.

Service options

  • Bin sizes and costs
  • Curb/alley weekly service - Bins must be set out at the curb or alley by 7:00 a.m. and retrieved after collection. Most economical option.
  • On-site service - Collectors access and empty the bins wherever they are located. Weekly additional collection available for added cost. Most convenient option.
  • Contact private waste hauling companies to compare services and pricing.

Recycling Volunteer

A Recycling Volunteer educates residents about recycle, food waste, and how to reduce garbage. In addition to helping your community and the environment, the property will get a one-time $100 utility bill credit and could receive free kitchen bins.

Resources for success at your property

Backyard composting on your property

Some properties may also wish to make compost at home. Composting on your property can save money and benefit the environment. However, no dairy or meat products should go in a home pile due to potential odor or pest problems. They are accepted in the curbside collection bin. Food waste such as pizza boxes, napkins, and paper towels should also go into the bin.