Protection Orders

As a victim of Domestic Violence, you have the right to file a petition requesting a Domestic Violence Protection Order. There does not have to be an arrest, police report or criminal charge to request a Domestic Violence Protection Order. A Protection Order is different from a No-Contact Order.

A Domestic Violence Protection Order can:

  • Prohibit the respondent, the abusive person, from harassing and/or contacting the petitioner, the person seeking protection. The respondent may be ordered to have no contact with the petitioner, including in person, by mail, by telephone, or through third parties.
  • Exclude the respondent from petitioner's residence (even if shared), school, business, or place of employment, or from coming to the school or daycare of minor children.
  • Restrain the respondent from cyberstalking or keeping someone under physical or electronic surveillance.
  • Award temporary custody of minor children to one parent, establish temporary visitation, and restrain one parent from interfering with custody.
  • Order the respondent to participate in treatment or counseling.
  • Prohibit the respondent from removing the children from the state.
  • Restrain the respondent from committing further acts of abuse.

Who Can Be Protected:

  • Spouse or former spouse
  • Persons having a child in common
  • Adult persons related by blood or marriage
  • Adult persons who presently reside or used to reside together
  • Persons 13 years and older who have or have had a dating relationship with someone 16 yrs or older (Note: someone under 16 yrs must seek relief by parent or guardian)
  • Persons who have a biological or legal parent-child relationship

Please note: A Domestic Violence Protection Order is not considered enforceable until it has been personally served on the respondent.

A Domestic Violence Protection Order cannot:

  • Order child support
  • Order maintenance income
  • Assign property to either party
  • Establish permanent child custody or "ownership" of family home
  • Guarantee your safety. An Order for Protection works best if it is part of a comprehensive personal safety plan.

Process for Filing:

The forms you need to obtain a Domestic Violence Protection Order are available in most Municipal, District or Superior Courts, or online at: or

A Protection Order Advocate can help you file a Temporary Order for Protection at the locations below. A Temporary Order is in place for 14 days, at which time the court holds a "full order hearing." The respondent (the abusive person) may respond to your allegations by appearing at the full order hearing. At this hearing, the court hears from you and the respondent, and decides whether to extend the order for a year, or longer in some cases. You must attend this full order hearing to continue the Domestic Violence Protection Order beyond the initial 14-day temporary period.

King County Courthouse
Room C213 • 516 Third Avenue • Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 477-1103

King County Maleng Regional Justice Center
Room 2B • 401 Fourth Ave N • Kent, WA 98032
(206) 205-7406

SAVIN Protective Order Notification Service

A free, 24-hour service for accessing information on your protection order and registering to be notified when your order has been served. (877) 242-4055 or

City Attorney

Ann Davison, City Attorney
Address: 701 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2050 , Seattle , WA , 98104-7095
Mailing Address: 701 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2050 , Seattle , WA , 98104-7095
Phone: (206) 684-8200
Contact City Attorney

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from City Attorney

The City Attorney heads the Law Department and is responsible for supervising all City litigation. In addition, the City Attorney supervises a staff of Assistant City Attorneys who provide legal advice and assistance to the City's management and prosecute violations of City ordinances.