When you retire, you may continue self-paid medical coverage through Seattle City Employees' Retirement System by electing COBRA or one of the retiree health plans. The documents on this page explain and compare the health care plans available to retired members. You can also learn more about health and dental coverage options in the Seattle City Employees' Retirement System Handbook.
The City gives annual notices about changes in health care coverage. The most recent notice was issued in October 2016 regarding 2017 changes.
Requests for health care coverage changes must be received at the retirement office by the 15th of the month to be effective on the payroll paid at the end of that month. Requests for changes received after the 15th of the month will be effective on the following month's payroll. To cancel your medical or dental coverage, inform us in writing using the Medical / Dental Coverage Cancellation form.
If you are retired and not yet 65 years of age, two months before you turn 65 you will receive a letter from the Seattle City Employees' Retirement System explaining that since you will be eligible for Medicare Parts A and B, your City retiree medical plan coverage will be discontinued. You will also be given the opportunity to enroll in one of the City's Medicare Advantage Plans, which supplement Medicare.
If you are 65 or over and wish to purchase coverage under a Medicare Advantage health care plan, you must contact the retirement office. A retirement specialist will help you enroll in coverage you choose.
Group Health acquired by Kaiser Permanente
Please note that in February 2017, Kaiser Permanente acquired Group Health Cooperative. If you are enrolled in a City Group Health plan, your 2017 benefits will not change with the acquisition. You will receive a new medical card with the Kaiser Permanente name and logo by March 31, 2017 and a welcome letter from Kaiser Permanente in early April 2017. If you have questions, please contact Kaiser Permanente at 206-901-4636 or visit their website.
- 2017 - Aetna Medicare Prescription Summary of Benefits
- 2017 Medical Benefits Comparison, Over 65
- 2017 - Kaiser Permanente/Group Health Annual Notice of Changes for MAPD Plan 3
- 2017 - Kaiser Permanente/Group Health Annual Notice of Changes for MAPD Plan 4
- 2017 - Aetna Medicare Plan (PPO)
- 2017 - Kaiser Permanente/Group Health Medicare Advantage Summary of Benefits, Prescription Drug Plan 3
- 2017 - Kaiser Permanente/Group Health Medicare Advantage Summary of Benefits, Prescription Drug Plan 4
- 2017 - United HealthCare Medicare Plan Benefit Highlights