Working After Retirement

Temporary employment:
If the City of Seattle hires you as a temporary employee, there will be no impact on your pension and annuity retirement benefits if you do not exceed 1,040 hours of work in any calendar year.  The first pay period of the City's calendar year is typically the last pay period in December of the previous year.

If you work more than 1,040 hours in a calendar year, your benefits will reduce.  Depending on the amount of your temporary salary, you might only receive the annuity portion.  This is the portion funded by your contributions and interest of your retirement benefit.  The reduction in your pension will continue until your temporary service ends or until the end of the calendar year, whichever comes first.   If your temporary position continues into the next calendar year, you may work an additional 1,040 hours before losing some or all of the pension portion of your benefit.  The pension portion of your benefit is the part of your benefit funded by the City.  

If the City hires you after retirement, you will not be required to make contributions to the retirement system.  Tell your human resources staff know right away if you see retirement deductions coming out of your paycheck.  

Regular employment:

If the City hires you in a regular employment position, the pension portion of your benefit will freeze until your City service ends. 

You will continue to receive the annuity portion of your retirement benefit.  You are still retired even though you are working for the City.   You should not have retirement contributions deducted from your paycheck.  If you have self-paid medical coverage through the City of Seattle, please contact the SDHR Benefits Unit to let them know you have medical coverage as a regular employee.  SDHR Benefits Unit will suspend your retiree medical coverage.  

Please contact the Retirement Office when you separate from City employment again so that your full retirement benefit can resume.  You will also need to contact SDHR Benefit Unit to resume your self-paid medical coverage (if applicable).