Suspended License or Vehicle Tabs

Suspended Driver License

A driver license may be suspended or revoked because you didn't pay a traffic ticket or appear in court as required. Your license will be suspended until you pay the fine or comply with the requirement to appear in court and the Washington Department of Licensing receives notification that the matter has been resolved.

How Can I Get My License Back?

  1. Once your failure to appear has been cleared with the court, we will issue a certificate of adjudication.
  2. The court will notify Washington State DOL that your failure to appear has been cleared. DOL will update your driving record to show your license is not suspended or revoked.
  3. You will need to apply for a new license and pay applicable fees.

For more information, visit the Washington State DOL website or email

Why Do I Have a Hold on My Vehicle Tabs?

According to Washington State Law, a citizen may not renew his/her vehicle tabs if there are unpaid parking tickets associated with that vehicle.

If you have unpaid parking tickets and have a hold on your tabs, you may pay the court directly, along with any penalties that may have accrued. If your ticket(s) have been referred to the court's collection agency, you must pay the Collection Agency.

How Do I Remove a Hold on My Vehicle Tabs?

  1. Pay the court or collection agency for your unpaid tickets.
  2. Obtain proof of payment called a certificate of adjudication or ask the court to electronically submit the certificate to Washington State DOL.
  3. It may take a few days for Washington State DOL to release the hold on your vehicle tabs.
  4. The Department of Licensing is authorized to charge a $15 surcharge for this renewal.