Seattle Municipal Court Hon. Karen Donohue, Presiding

Programs and Services

Vacating a Misdemeanor Record -- Application Instructions

Where do I go to apply for vacating my conviction?

You must apply at the court where you were convicted.

How do I apply for a vacation of my record at the Municipal Court of Seattle?

Please review the following documents:

Please fill out these forms completely:

Motion and Declaration for Order Vacating Conviction

(To view these forms Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader Download Link is required).

Any missing information may cause delay. If you fail to disclose or state in the attached declaration that you have no convictions for a domestic violence offense and the criminal history reveals that you were so convicted your request will be denied.

Top of Page

Submitting the forms

Bring the completed forms to:

Records Department
Municipal Court of Seattle
3rd floor, Seattle Justice Center Map Image
600 Fifth Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Mail completed forms to:

Records Department
Municipal Court of Seattle
Seattle Justice Center
600 Fifth Avenue
PO BOX 34987
Seattle, WA 98124-4987

Top of Page

What will happen after I file my application?

  • The court will request your criminal history from the Washington State Patrol and the National Crime Information Center.
  • A copy of your application will be sent to the Seattle City Attorney's Office for review.
  • Your case file and other documentation will then go to the judge who heard your case or to the Presiding Judge for review. The judge may determine that you need to appear in court. If a hearing is required you will receive a court notice of the date and time.
  • The court will contact you if additional information is required.
  • If your request to vacate your criminal conviction is granted you will receive a signed order. Keep this order with your other important records.
  • The court will notify the arresting agency and the Washington State Patrol that your conviction has been vacated. The Washington State Patrol will notify the Federal Bureau of Investigation to remove the conviction from your criminal history.
  • You can state that you have never been convicted of this offense for employment or housing purposes. However, if you are charged with another crime, the prosecutor may use this past conviction in the case against you. If you are convicted of another crime, the vacated conviction cannot be used to determine your sentence.

How soon will my record be cleared?

The Washington State Patrol will make every effort to process the order to vacate your conviction as quickly as possible. We suggest that you contact the Washington State Patrol 90 days after the order for vacation is granted for a copy of your criminal history. Washington State Patrol offices are located:

Seattle/King County
District 2 - Bellevue

2803 - 156th Avenue SE
Bellevue, Washington 98007
(425) 649-4370

Tacoma/Pierce County
District 1 - Tacoma

2502 112th Street East
Tacoma, Washington 98445-5104
(253) 536-6210

Identification and Criminal History Section
Washington State Patrol

P.O. Box 42633
Olympia, Washington 98504-2633
(360) 534-2000

Top of Page

Links & Resources

Helpful Links & Resources    
Jail Information    
Contact Us
King County Web Site Link outside of the City of Seattle web

Court and Legal Community

CAP Information (for Attorneys)
Forms and Filing
Law Dept. Forms
Local Court Rules
King County Bar Assn.

Jury Duty

Responding to Your Summons
Frequently Asked Questions
Reschedule Jury Duty
Jury Duty Informational Slide Show


Agencia de Cobros
Informacin para pagar multas
Opciones de cmo responder a las citaciones (tickets)

Municipal Court of Seattle, 600 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104-1900    Directions to the Court
Hours: M-F 8-5    Court Contact: (206) 684-5600 or Customer Service