Seattle.gov Home Page
Seattle.gov This Department
Seattle City Clerk's Home Page Seattle City Clerk's Home Page Seattle City Clerk's About Us Page Seattle City Clerk's Contact Us Page
Online Information Resources
Search Collections Exhibits and Education Seattle Facts About the Archives

Pike Place Market Centennial - Home
Birth of the Market
Early Expansion
Traffic and the Fate of the Market
Privatization
The City's Role as Overseer
Farmers and the Market
Japanese Farmers and Race Relations
The Aging of the Market
Plans for Change
Citizen Protests
Initiative 1
Rehabilitating the Market
The Market Revitalized
Return to Online Exhibits Home

Pike Place Market Centennial

Early Expansion

Over the next decade, the City made extensive improvements to the market, including the enlargement of the farmers' stalls area and the construction of arcades, public restrooms and a footbridge to the waterfront. By 1915, the market averaged over 150 farmers per day, with over twice that number in the late summer and fall.

As the owner of the Leland Hotel on the corner of Pike Street and Pike Place, Frank Goodwin immediately recognized the great business opportunity provided by an adjoining public market. He covered the sidewalk in front of his business for the farmers to use. Over the next ten years, his corporation, the Public Market and Department Store Company, bought most of the property surrounding Pike Place and built several private market buildings, including the Corner Market, Economy Market, Sanitary Public Market, and Main Market.

postcard
Postcard
Mayor's Message
Mayor's Message
Pike Place
Pike Place

Next section -->