Business in SeattleLiving in SeattleVisiting SeattleCity ServicesCity Departments
Contact Us at (206) 684-2489, TTY Dial 7 1 1
Seattle Police Department Kathleen O'Toole, Chief of Police
SPD Home / Safety & Prevention / Graffiti and Vandalism



Graffiti is any marking placed on public or private property without the owner's permission. Stickers are also illegal.

How to report graffiti

Graffiti is vandalism without permission. Graffiti is created to be seen by others, so the best thing you can do if it appears on your property is to report it, document it, and then clean it up thoroughly and immediately.

  • To report an act of graffiti or vandalism in progress, call 9-1-1.

  • To report graffiti noticed on somebody else's property, or public property call the City of Seattle’s Hotline at (206) 684-7587 or use the online report form.

  • To report graffiti that has appeared on your property:

    • Use our online reporting system (you are required to upload photos)
    • or use the police non-emergency number (206) 625-5011

If the graffiti is on your property

Once you have reported the graffiti, if the graffiti is on your property or business the graffiti nusiance ordinance requires that you remove or have it removed in a timely manner.

Specific steps on how to remove graffiti is at the Seattle Public Utilities page.


For Business Owners

  • Create or join an existing local chamber of commerce or merchant's association to develop strategies to deal with this type of crime.

  • Make sure a sign identifying the business is visibly displayed at each shop front.

  • Additional prevention tips at Seattle Public Utilities site.

For Property Owners

SPD Badge
Headquarters: 610 5th Avenue,
Seattle, WA 98124-4986
Site Disclaimer: The Seattle Police Department's website was developed to provide general information. Data contained at this location is generally not reviewed for legal sufficiency. SPD documents displayed are for reference purposes only. Their completeness or currency are not guaranteed. Links or references to other information or organizations are for reference only and do not constitute an endorsement.