In less than a minute, an experienced car prowler can break into a parked vehicle.
- Take a moment to observe your surroundings when leaving or returning to your car.
- If your car is stored in a carport or parked near your house, leave your exterior lights on throughout the night.
- Increase the visibility of parking spaces on residential or business properties by trimming back trees and bushes, and installing motion-detecting lighting.
- Drivers can help keep thieves out of secure parking garages by taking a few moments to ensure security doors fully close behind them. Contact your building management and advise them to accelerate garage door timers.
- If you park on the street, choose a well-lit, open space.
- If you park your car in a dark or isolated area, you can make a request for a new streetlight if there is an existing pole nearby. Call (206) 684-7056 for more information.
IF YOUR VEHICLE IS BROKEN INTO
File a report by calling the non-emergency number at 206-625-5011, or file one online at: http://www.seattle.gov/police/report/default.htm
When filing a report on-line or over the phone you do not need to remain at the scene. If you choose to call the non-emergency line, simply ask to report a crime and, if it meets the criteria, the call-taker will forward you to an officer who will take your report over the phone. The officer will still provide you with a case number. If the crime is still in progress or it is an emergency situation, call 9-1-1 immediately!