Disposal of Unwanted Firearms, Ammo or Fireworks
Did you know Seattle police can assist you in disposing of any unwanted firearms, ammunition or fireworks?
The department offers walk-in appointments to turn in any unwanted guns, ammunitions or fireworks at each of SPD's five precincts and downtown headquarters.
When turning over a firearm:
- Call ahead and let officers know you have items to bring in for destruction.
- If you know how to safely unload the firearm before bringing it into the precinct, please do so.
- Please do not bring a visible firearm into the precinct. Put the firearm in a bag or a box and tell the officer at the front desk that you are bringing a firearm in for destruction. Don't remove the firearm from the bag/box.
- If you have a long gun or rifle, call the non-emergency number (206) 625-5011 and ask that officers be dispatched to your location to pick up your weapon.
What happens to the items I bring in?
- Firearms will be checked to be sure they have not been reported stolen.
- Firearms turned into the Seattle Police Department are melted down at West Seattle's NuCor Steel plant.
- For more information about the firearm destruction process, please visit the SPD Blotter.