Mail or Package Theft
If you believe you are witnessing a mail theft or package theft in progress, call 9-1-1 immediately.
If you think your mail was stolen:
- Call 9-1-1 and report it.
- Call the Postal Inspectors at 877-876-2455 (press 3). You will be asked to file a formal complaint, which helps the inspectors track down this crime.
- If you were expecting a check or other valuable mail, contact the issuing agency immediately.
If your mailbox was vandalized:
It is a Federal Crime to vandalize a mailbox. (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705)
- Report theft, tampering or destruction of mailboxes to the Postal Inspectors.
- Call 877-876-2455 or fill out their online form http://ehome.uspis.gov/mailtheft/vandalize.aspx
If you think a package was stolen:
- If you did not receive your shipment on time, check with the company of origin to confirm the delivery.
- If you tracked your shipment and know it was delivered, report the theft or loss:
- Contact the original company you ordered from.
- Contact the shipping company.
- Contact the Seattle Police Department’s non emergency line 206-625-5011.
Please note that once a package has been delivered, whether signed for or not, it is no longer the shipping company’s responsibility.