South East Asian Advisory Council
About the Council
The Southeast Asian Advisory Council to the Seattle Police Department (SPD) was created in 1998, becoming one of ten such councils that work collaboratively with the police. The Council was created to discuss the concerns of the refugee and immigrant communities.
Our Areas of Focus
- Maintain direct lines of communication that build trust between the Southeast Asian communities and the SPD.
- Promote open and respectful dialogue that builds trust between the Southeast Asian communities and the SPD.
- Increase the awareness of SPD programs and services, crime prevention, and public safety among the refugee and immigrant communities of Southeast Asia.
- Work within the Southeast Asian communities and with the Department to promote, understand, and respect the similarities and differences of both the Southeast Asian and police cultures.
- Work to improve access to programs and services provided by the SPD and the City of Seattle.