Muslim, Sikh and Arab Advisory Council
About the Council
The Muslim, Sikh and Arab Advisory Council to the Seattle Police Department (SPD) was created in 2002, becoming one of ten such councils that work collaboratively with the police. The demographic advisory councils were born out of a need to hear directly from demographic communities that often feel disenfranchised, alienated, or uncomfortable approaching the police.
Our Areas of Focus
- Educate the community about American law enforcement practices, crime prevention, and public safety.
- Enlighten the community and law enforcement agencies about racial and religious diversity and dispel stereotypes.
- Create and strengthen programs and communication efforts that build trust between SPD and the community.
- Increase participation of individuals from the community to work with SPD on public safety issues.
- Provide an open forum for community members and organizations to network.