The Seattle Police Department is the largest Municipal law enforcement agency in Washington State.
Seattle Population: 612,000
Seattle Physical Size: 143 square miles
Population of King County: 1,933,400
Washington State Population: 6,733,200
Seattle Police Department Staffing: 1,820 (approx.)
- Foot, car and bike patrols in all five precincts.
- Harbor Unit patrol of 59 square miles of waterways.
- Investigative duties for all crimes including arson investigations.
- 9-1-1 Communication Center answers all calls for police, fire and medical emergencies in the city.
- Traffic Enforcement.
- Parking Enforcement.
- Homeland Security and the Bomb/Arson Unit
- Specialty units, such as SWAT, Gang Unit and canine.
John Diaz is Chief of Police.
The Department is divided into two branches, Operational and Administrative, both of which are headed by a Deputy Chief. These branches divide into five different bureaus, Patrol Operations, Criminal Investigations, Special Operations Bureau, Emergency Preparedness and Field Support. Each of these bureaus is overseen by an Assistant Chief.
We must continue to reduce fear through increased presence in neighborhoods and community partnerships.