Art in the Park


Bordering on the south side of the King County Public Safety Building, this former battlefield is now a small walking and sitting space filled with grass, trees, benches, small tables, and chairs. A small oak here commemorates the founding of the United Nations, and a plaque with cannonball recalls the 1865 Battle of Seattle, when Indians led by Chief Leschi attacked the pioneer village in a last effort to save their land. The battle was short lived, however, largely because of the fire power of the gunship Decatur, moored in Elliott Bay. During freeway construction in 1964, several more cannonballs were unearthed below Harborview Hospital. City Hall park, in keeping with its military history, was used as a drill ground for troops during World War II. (Excerpted from Enjoying Seattle's Parks by Brandt Morgan.)