Environmental Education & Outdoor Learning
Environmental Learning Centers
Seattle's Environmental Learning Centers (ELCs) are unique entities within the Parks and Recreation system serving many different roles. They are visitor centers to some of the largest parks in the city with information desks, way-finding maps, and nature interpretation exhibits. In addition, they are rental facilities with large meeting rooms, distinctive rustic lodges and cabins, and LEED buildings. One ELC in West Seattle, Camp Long, even has a high and low ropes course or challenge course! Finally, they are the hubs for much of the environmental and experiential education that happens in the city of Seattle.
- Discover plants and animals that share this part of the world with us. Download theenvironmental learning center public programs listing offered at the Environmental Learning Centers.
- Take your school group or camp to experience field science in a local park with a city naturalist
- Send your child to a preschool or day camp with a focus on nature and the outdoors
- Volunteer to help with one of the above-mentioned activities
- Rent a room in a beautiful facility in a beautiful setting including cabins in the West Seattle woods that are available for overnight stays
- Promote communication, develop leadership skills, and instill teamwork with your group through experiential education