Action on Gender Pay Disparity #EqualPaySEA
The Council is leading the way toward wage parity at the City and hopefully beyond. Last year the City assembled a task force to take an in-depth look at solving the gender pay gap after it was found women make 90 cents for every dollar earned by a male employee at the City. A task force went to work developing a Gender Justice Initiative which was recently presented to the Mayor and Council Member Jean Godden.
The task force created a list of solutions to begin work on this problem, and with the Mayor's support the Council can move ahead in implementing some of these initiatives. The Mayor and Councilmember Godden will also introduce a joint resolution to address gender inequities which instructs City Departments to take immediate action. The Gender Pay Equity Committee will spend the rest of the year discussing and taking action on the gender wage gap at the City. For a meeting schedule please visit Councilmember Jean Godden's committee page.
Check back here to keep up to date with the Council's latest efforts in addressing the wage gap and to learn more about how women have the best chance at success in Seattle.Please contact Councilmember Jean Godden directly if you have a story of gender pay inequity to share.
Councilmember Godden's thoughts on the wage gap and women in the region:
- Council authorizes action to rectify Gender Pay Gap
- Jean Godden fights for family rights, Seattlish
- Seattle City Councilmember wants paid maternity/paternity leave for all city workers, My Northwest
- Nadella's blunder: Two Seattle City Council women respond, Crosscut (co-authored with Councilmember Sawant)
- Seattle Times - Guest: End the gender wage gap for city employees
- Open Letter To Mayor-elect Murray
- Gender Equity in City Employment Requires Long-Term Effort, Crosscut (co-authored with Councilmember Burgess)
- Why Jean Godden Cares So Much About Wage Equity, SLOG
- Closing the gender-wage disparity among city workers, Seattle Times
- Strong You Gotta Be, jeangodden.com
- Seattle Women are Not Worth Less, Crosscut
- Having It All? Time To Talk?, jeangodden.com
- Chris Hansen's Sodo Arena Plan: Seattle Storm Should Be more Than An Afterthought, Seattle Times
Reports and News
Share your story with us on Twitter #EqualPaySEA