WARREN G. MAGNUSON PARK
History - Post-War Period
Warren G. Magnuson Park Information:
7400 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115 >
Administrative office visiting address:
6310 NE 74th St, bldg
30 southeast offices
Administrative office mail:
6310 NE 74th St., Suite 109E, Seattle,
- Post-1945, constructed enlisted men's bathhouse, Building 311 (now
picnic shelter 1)
- 1947, rumors that NAS Seattle to be closed due to creation of U.S.
- September 1950, base scheduled for deactivation, delayed to Korean
- 1950s, Area Development Plan (dated, November 1953) shows that
field lighting was installed and removed for each football season
at the south end of the current Sand Point Fields. At the north end
of these fields, there was a softball and baseball diamond.
- 1950, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service established a research laboratory
in surplus Navy buildings south of NE 65th Street, east of 65th Avenue
- 1952, the Navy closed the base except for Naval Reserve activities
- 1953, Master Shore Development Plan for NAS Seattle estimated plant
value at $70 million, station size at 450.31 acres
- Late 1950s, rumors of stationing jet aircraft a NAS Seattle, would
need extension of runways and construction of jet fuel storage
- 1963, station size at 494.68 acres, Shearwater Housing
- 1966, station population included 482 active duty, 1,471 reserve
naval personnel, 318 civilians
- 1967, relocation of Coast Guard Air Station from Port Angeles.
- 1969, the main airstrip was resurfaced and extended from the southeast
to northwest shore, a length of 4,800 feet (estimated cost $500,000).
To view a PDF, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download it for free at www.adobe.com.
May 15, 2007