Georgetown Pump Station
Located on the eastern shore of the Duwamish River, this is an undeveloped park property. The property is adjacent to a street end that was developed as wildlife habitat and a public viewpoint. The site includes a historic (inactive) pump station building, which is an integral part of the Georgetown Steam Plant. This park represents one of very few green space and habitat restoration opportunities on the eastern shore of the Duwamish River between Boeing Field and Elliott Bay.
This property will be developed when funding becomes available.
A community-initiated acquisition funded by the Pro-Parks Levy Opportunity Fund originally acquired this property for park land. The site will provide opportunities to educate Seattle residents about the interesting history of the Duwamish River and Georgetown. The Georgetown Steam Plant was originally built on pilings on the shore of a Duwamish River ox-bow in 1906, and river water was used for the boiler and condensers. In 1917, the Duwamish River was straightened, the ox-bow was filled in, and lines from the steam plant were extended to the pump station at this "Gateway North" site, on the current shore of the Duwamish, a mile southwest of the historic steam plant.