A densely wooded patch of forest in West Seattle, Fauntleroy Park has a network of trails and paths great for wandering, hiking and dog-walking. Recent and ongoing volunteer work parties, organized through the Trails Program, have been improving the trails.
"Fauntleroy" is the community name, taken from the nearby cove on Puget Sound at Lincoln Park. The Cove was named in 1857 by Lt. George Davidson, who took soundings in the area, to honor his betrothed - Ellinor Fauntleroy of Indiana. He also named a peak in the Olympic Mountains to honor her and her family.
In 1904, John Adams, a realtor, developed the area into a summer colony. In 1907 Laurence Colman and others built permanent homes and a church. Then came electrical engineer E.C. Kilbourne to build the Fauntleroy Avenue Trolley. Major growth of the area followed World War II.