Aquatics Employment & Training
Seattle Parks and Recreation is currently recruiting for Temporary Lifeguards for eight indoor pools in Seattle. Current Red Cross Lifeguard certification is required, and candidates must be at least 16 years old to apply. Part time work hours are available. Position wage starts at $16.07/hr.
Required qualifications for Seattle Parks lifeguards
- Get Certified! Sign up for an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course and the NW Lifeguard Test.
- Get Hired! Send a resume and cover letter, or Aquatic Application to email@example.com. You can also take your application directly to the Aquatic Center Coordinator at any Seattle Parks and Recreation indoor pool.
- Get Working! Once you are hired you will be required to pass a background check and a physical examination provided by the City of Seattle.
For more information please call (206) 684-4078.
This American Red Cross course is your first step in becoming a lifeguard for the City of Seattle. The course is approximately 30 hours in length and provides certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED. Certifications are valid for two years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards, dive 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object, swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point and exit the water without using a ladder. Swim goggles may not be used.
Location: Evans Pool at Green Lake
Dates: Saturdays, 10/29 - 12/17
Time: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Sign up: By phone at 206-684-4961 or Online, barcode #150869
Location: Rainier Beach Pool
Dates: 11/18 (pretest 6pm-10pm), 11/26, 11/27
Time: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sign up: By phone at 206-386-1925 or Online, barcode #157646
Location: Ballard Pool
Dates: 12/27 - 12/31
Time: 11:00am - 6:00pm
Sign up: By phone at 206-684-4094 or Online, barcode #154014
This is a renewal course is for those who have a current certification, or one that has expired in the last 30 days. It will extend the expiration date of your Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED certifications for another 2 years.
Location: Evans Pool at Green Lake
Time: 12:00pm - 7:30pm
Sign up: By phone at 206-684-4961 or Online, barcode #150867
The Northwest Lifeguard Certification Test is offered on a regular basis at pools in the Greater Seattle area and is sponsored by the King County Chapter of the American Red Cross in cooperation with Seattle Parks and Recreation, King County Parks, the City of Covington, and the City of Federal Way.
Grading elements include
- 50 yards head high crawl stroke
- Rescue tow medley
- Spinal injury rescue in shallow water
- Dive and recover submerged victim
- Rescue of struggling victim
* There are two certified versions of the NW Test. The full/beach certification, and modified/indoor pool certification. Scoring of the timed Head High 50 Yard Swim and the Underwater Swim in the Medley will determine your certification level. See Grading Criteria or call your nearest pool for details.
This course provides instruction for those seeking to teach water safety, swimming and diving skills, and aquatic health and fitness.
Location: Helene Madison Pool
Dates: Thursdays, 11/3 - 2/2, No Class 11/24, 12/22, 12/29
Time: 6:30pm - 9:00pm (some dates may end earlier)
Sign up: By phone at 206-684-4979 or Online, barcode #157566
This approximately 30 hour course includes practical methods and theory for teaching lifeguarding skills, and enables participants to teach lifeguarding courses.
There are no LGI courses scheduled at this time.
The Lifeguard Training Team is a FREE program, designed to train and certify Seattle's youth in lifesaving skills. The eight week program for youth ages 15-17 years old is designed to train participants to be lifeguards and build other job skills. Seattle Parks and Recreation provides training, books, uniforms, and basic materials at no charge. Participants get the opportunity to test for certification at the end of the program. This is your first step towards employment as a lifeguard!
The Lifeguard Training Team is a tremendous opportunity for you to learn and grow, to build lasting friendships, and to acquire skills you'll use for the rest of your life.
You don't have to be an Olympic athlete or world class swimmer to join. We just ask that you try your hardest, participate every day, and be part of the team. The instructors' provide a safe, well supervised and encouraging environment. The safety of the participants is our #1 priority.
As the next step towards aquatic employment, successful completion of this program opens up a variety of volunteer opportunities throughout the year at our indoor pools. Continue to build your lifeguarding resume by learning to teach swim lessons and water exercise classes, all while earning service learning credits.