Appeals Process

Appeals regarding discipline (suspension, demotion, termination) must be filed within twenty (20) days of the date of the letter written by the Dept. informing the employee of its final decision regarding a disciplinary action.  

Filing Appeals during "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" Order

The COVID-19 virus has greatly impacted the Seattle-King County and the City of Seattle. In accordance with Local Health Orders, Mayor Durkan has taken proactive measures designed to slow the spread of the virus and keep both residents and visitors to our city safe.

The Civil Service Commission, in response to Governor Inslee's "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" proclamation and directives from our federal, state and City leaders, will temporarily halt receiving appeals in person or through the commission mail slot at SMT. You can access forms on this page. If you are unable to send a scanned copy of the form, please send your appeal via email to or include in the email the following:



Full Name, Address, Contact Number

Position and Department

Employee Number

DISCIPLINE: Suspension; Discharge; Demotion; Political Patronage; City of Seattle Personnel Ordinance or Rule(s) Violation: What Personnel rule, regulation, or provision, do you believe was violated?

Other Personnel related issue?

Briefly state the reason for your appeal? Remedy sought?


Union Name and Local Number

Have you filed a grievance with your union or bargaining unit?

Is this matter the subject of arbitration pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement?


Did you receive notification of your right to a timely resolution of this grievance from your Department? (SMC 4.04.070)

Have you filed a grievance on the issues that are identified in this appeal, through the intra-departmental grievance procedure? (Personnel Rule 1.3 and 1.4)

If you filed a grievance through the intra-department grievance process, what was the outcome?


Do you have any attorney or another person representing you for this appeal?

We do require a signature on your Appeal form, please complete and sign the form (see links below) and send via US postal to the commission office 700 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1670, PO Box 94729, Seattle, WA 98124-4729

What should I know before I file an appeal with the Civil Service Commission?

Notice of Right to Appeal   Frequently Asked Questions    Appeals Process Flow Chart



Appeal Form

Petition for Review of Hearing Officer/CSC Decision

Request to Withdraw Appeal


Appeals Log of Decisions 

A summary of Orders, Memorandums and Decisions issued by CSC Hearing Officer, the Office of the Hearing Examiner or the Commission click here

Complete our Customer Survey


Please take a moment to comment on your experience with the Commission. Your comments will help us determine if our services are addressing your needs and will help us better serve you and others in the future. Thank you.