Medallion renewal

The 2020 medallion renewal period for in person renewals will start two weeks after our public-facing operations re-open. 

Location and appointments

We will process renewals by appointment at our office at 805 S. Dearborn St. A schedule of renewal appointments will be posted here and sent to the dispatch organizations/associations when we have a date set. Once the online portal is available, medallion renewals may be processed online.  Transfers and meter tests, however, will still require a visit to our office.  

Medallion holders

To complete the renewals, all owners of each medallion must come, in person, to their appointment and have the following items ready:

  • A personal email account. We ask that all owners create an email account if they don't have one already.
  • Identification.
  • Original vehicle registration.

Taxi associations and for-hire companies

Prior to renewals, each association/company needs to designate one email address that will receive notifications for every medallion renewed under your association/company. Once you have identified a good email address, email the information to

Medallion lease

Download the medallion lease summary form.

Medallion transfer

If you would like to transfer your medallion to a new owner, the voluntary medallion transfer form must be completed. Both the Seller and the Buyer must be present at the office of the Consumer Protection Division at the time of transfer. Note that before a medallion can be transferred, all outstanding wheelchair-accessible services fees must be paid.

All proposed medallion transfers shall be listed in the table below within two days of submission to the Consumer Protection. By rule, a temporary medallion will be issued. If you would like to receive notice of updates to this list, click this link to subscribe to the data set via email or RSS feed.

Frequently asked questions

As of Feb. 1, 2015, all taxicab and for-hire vehicle licenses converted to medallions, as required by Seattle Municipal Code 6.310.135.A and/or King County Code 6.64.101.A. You will receive your medallion certificate after you complete the Medallion renewal, pay related medallion renewal fees for each jurisdiction and pay any outstanding balances.

The City is administering the medallion conversion process on behalf of King County.

The renewal of your taxicab or for-hire vehicle license will be denied.  No transactions involving that medallion shall be accepted.

Yes. You will be able to do this once you receive your permanent medallion certificate. Director's Rule CPU-02-2015 describes the voluntary transfer process.

No. Your medallion is intangible property that gives the medallion owner the right to operate a taxicab or for-hire vehicle bearing that medallion number. You can change the vehicle operating under a medallion without affecting that medallion.