Tree Ambassadors build community and create investment in public trees.
Do you dream of living in a tree house? Do you eagerly await the first leaf buds in the spring? Do you love to lie on your back and watch branches dancing in the breeze? Does a stroll down a tree-lined street put a smile on your face?
You may be a tree lover!
What is a Tree Ambassador?
Tree Ambassadors are volunteers who help nurture Seattle’s trees with the goal of growing and caring for the urban forest. Tree Ambassadors help build community and create a culture of caring for our community's trees.
Tree Ambassadors work in two project areas:
- Tree Walks: Tree Walks are fun, positive community events that engage neighbors with the trees surrounding them. Tree Ambassadors develop tours to highlight interesting or significant trees in their neighborhoods and lead their walk as a public event. Check out the schedule of upcoming walks or download one of the self-guided walks here. Don't see a walk in your neighborhood? Become a Tree Ambassador and design Seattle's next Tree Walk!
Tree Ambassadors in this track are given an introduction to tree identification and taught skills in making maps and organizing community events. After the training, staff will assist Tree Ambassadors in identifying good routes, mapping trees on that route, writing accompanying text, and putting together a public event.
- Tree Stewardship: Tree Ambassadors plan and organize small-scale landscape projects and care for street trees in primarily residential areas. Tree Ambassadors “adopt” sites and organize work parties to weed, mulch, and care for trees. Check out the events page and come volunteer at an upcoming work party.
Tree Ambassadors in this track are taught how to care for street trees, identify and remove invasive species, proper mulching, how to plan safe events,
and community event organizing. After the training, staff help volunteers develop site plans, organize community work parties, and secure tools, mulch, and other equipment. Find a site to love in your neighborhood!
Tree Ambassadors nurture Seattle’s trees.
Join your fellow tree
lovers to grow Seattle’s urban forest!
Check out these photos to learn more about what the Tree Ambassadors have been up to!
Being a Tree Ambassador means:
- Making a positive difference within Seattle’s urban forest
- Meeting fellow tree lovers and becoming a valued part of Seattle’s urban forestry network
- Opportunites for free workshops on subjects like tree identification, pruning, and tree biology
No previous tree experience necessary - just a love of trees!
Together we can make sure everyone in Seattle has a tree to hug.
We will be holding trainings for new volunteers in the spring of 2016. Please check back in April for annoucements on timing and how to get involved. In the meantime, stay in touch through our email list! Join here and we'll send you updates on upcoming events and trainings. You can also always check out our events calendar.
Questions? Contact us at (206) 615-1668 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read this article in the Queen Anne & Magnolia news profiling the Tree Ambassador program.
Check out this Seattle Channel video highligting some of the work we are doing!